Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sewing clothes

It has been quite a while since I have sewn any clothing. Seeing so many crafters sewing gorgeous skirts in blogland, the bug has bitten me too. So recently I scratched around and found some of my old patterns and made 2 skirts and a top from stretch knit fabric. I have worn one fo the skirts and the top already, but have not taken any photos yet. I will post this soon.
I did however sew more clothing this past weekend and I did take photos. Recently there was a post on http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/ for a free skirt pattern and the designer also made a fat quarter handbag (also feautured on the same site recently by Jennifer) from the same fabric to go with her skirt. This seemed like a great idea and I decided to make myself a skirt and matching handbag this weekend.
I grabbed my favorite new book Sew What! Skirts and selected the "Singing the Blues" skirt on page 45 although this pattern is for a drwastring waist. I chose to stretch myself and try a zip. I used contrasting fabric purchased from Hobby Lobby that had "SKIRT" written all over it when I saw it in the shop!


Here is the matching fabric and handles for the Fat Quarter bag.

And here is the finished set! I am quite proud of this project. It looks fabulous!

The skirt is a basic A-line pattern with some darts in the waist as I totally misjudged my waist! Need some brushing up on my measuring skills.



As pleased as I am with my skirt, the bag is really nice! I used firmer interfacing for the lining and it really gives the bag a nice structure. I added lots of pockets inside for all my daily goodies I carry everywhere.

A peek inside the bag showing the contrasting material as in the skirt and some of the pockets. I am totally amazed at the size of the bag and all this from a fat quarter! You really must try it. Jennifer gives various bag design options in the post and they are all stunning.


1 comment:

Tammy "SweetT" said...

Love your skirt and bag! Great job!