Friday, August 7, 2009

Bag Style!

I recently purchased the most amazing book - Bag Style. The patterns in this book are truly unique. This is my favorite bag pattern. I love the fact that you mix felting with yarn that does not felt. The bottom is crocheted with a 100% wool yarn and the top part with felting yarn.

A close-up of the contrast between the crochet and felted crochet. Love it! And a pair of my very own handles I recently made! They look stunning with this bag. I did a whipstitch around the top edge (before felting), a trick taught in the book Pursenalities, in pink.

This was my first attempt at sewing a fabric lining into a crochet/knitted bag. Not difficult and I did not use any sort of tutorial, but I did learn a few lessons doing it. I wanted to use interfacing on my lining and also wanted a few pockets, so could not use the instructions in the book as it requires you to pleat the lining, same as the outside of the bag. So I just kept trimming and fitting until I had a prefect fit. The pattern also calls for you to make a lose fabric-covered piece of cardboard to give the base of the bag some firmness and shape, which I did, but you cannot really see it in the picture. My favorite bag of all the bags I have made so far!

4 comments:

Jana Nielson said...

OHHHH!! I love the shape of that bag, and the fabric you used to line it!

Mika said...

I'm in love with this bag.
Mika (www.mikascrap.typepad.com)

Kate said...

Very cool bag...I like the lining you chose too!

jacqueline said...

This is such a gorgeous bag! Loving the colors and the fabric lining is so pretty! I hope you had a good weekend and have a merry week ahead! Love to you!